U.S. Patent PPAF
Southern Highbush Blueberry Variety
Sentinel is a vigorous early season, high-yielding cultivar, with no known disease issues
Region best adapted to: north-central and central Florida
Production system: performs well in deciduous system in both north-central and central FL; additional data to be gathered for evergreen system
Hydrogen cyanamide: not required
Machine Harvestability: no data yet; trials to be conducted in 2021
Per plant yields:
- North-central FL (2018-2020): 8.8 – 21.0 lbs/plant, average 16.4 lbs/plant
- Central FL (2018-2020): 5.6 – 10.9 lbs/plant, average 8.2 lbs/plant
Known disease susceptibility: none observed to date
Known insect damage susceptibility: moderate level of susceptibility to chilli thrips observed, similar to other cultivars
Fruit quality data:
- Fruit firmness: 174 – 241 g/mm, average 208 g/mm, a little higher than Emerald
- Berry Weight: 1.9 – 3.0 grams, average 2.2 grams, similar to Emerald
- Berry Diameter: 15.9 – 19.6 mm, average 17.2 mm, similar to Arcadia and Avanti
- Brix: 9.3 – 12.7, average 11.1, similar to Emerald
- Brix/Acid Ratio: 12.7 – 70.4, average 30.67, better than Emerald
- Fruit scar: normal (small, dry), similar to Emerald
- Wax/bloom: medium, similar to Emerald
- Fruit defects: none
- Flavor: high flavor score from taste panels (27.5). Higher than Emerald (19.9), very close to Kestrel (29.2).
- Aroma: low
Cultivars similar flowering time:
North-central FL – Optimus, Patrecia, Vireo, Magnus
Central FL – Optimus, Arcadia, Avanti, Chickadee
Other information: High vigor, with large yield in the early part of the season. Good performance with no disease problems
License availability: For a list of current nursery licensees in the USA, click here.
Fruit Quality and Yield
The following plots show the most important fruit quality traits and yield, across the season.
The vertical lines in the yield plots indicate when 10%, 50% and 90% of the harvest was achieved during the season.
Dotted lines indicate the desired values for new cultivars:
Berry weight greater than 2g
Fruit Diameter greater than 14mm
Firmness higher than 150g/mm
Brix higher than 10%
TTA less than 1%
Brix/TTA higher than 14 units
Warning: Yield plot coming from harvesting of two bushes. Values may seem overestimated as all the fruit from the bush is harvested, and because this is harvest yield and no packed yield. Use this data to compare among cultivars and no to predict potential yield on your farm.
Measurements are in grams (g). To convert from grams to pounds (lb) use the following formula:
lb of fruit per bush = (g of fruit) x (0.002204)